Monday, January 12, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID

Posted by Picasa
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

**Oh, the memories! Just last evening I was remembering how you traveled to Alaska, only a year old, in the back seat of our Squareback VW which had been converted to a traveling playpen. I never figured out whether you saw the moose in British Columbia, but you sure caught onto the cows and horses and sheep.
**Even as a pre-schooler you were a pretty good fisherman, as some photos I enjoy will testify.
**I still can't figure out how we raised the three of you in that tiny little house, but I remember a lot of hours with you perched on the garage workbench helping me tinker and learning how to use basic tools.
**You weren't really big enough to push that lawn mower at first, but you managed to cut several lawns and make a little spending money.
**You weren't big enough to ride that first big bike from Montgomery Wards but you stepped up to pay for it and that tickled Grandma Alta who helped out with the rest.
**You and your siblings were powerful and eager hikers and we never had to worry about bears in the woods or trolls under the bridges.
**I think one of the most intense efforts you made in school was learning to play that enormous trombone and participate in the concerts.
**I can see you sitting at Angies table asking if you could have another slice of pie, but you wern't asking your parents (who might have said one piece was enough); you were confidently asking Angie who would never deny you enough pie at her house!
**I can see you "leading singing" just like Dad, and I remember you standing on a stool at the lecturn to give a little sermon.
**I really enjoyed helping you build your own float and seeing you in the Fourth of July Parade.
**I couldn't count how many of my colleagues over your high school years commented on what a fine person you were, and how thoughtful you were of others, and how hard you worked on your studies, and how well you did.
**Memories of seeing you at Harding and later at Oklahoma -- meeeting your friends and hearing their praises of your character and enthusiasm came back when we received a card from the Duncans.
**I remember your pointing out a cute young lady and explaining why you were going to try to spend a few minutes with her, if I would just be patient and understanding. (And I'm mighty glad I was!!)
**I recall fixing Alaska salmon for a wedding dinner. (That was good too, because I would have come apart for sure if I had not had something to do.) Mainly I can see again what a good looking couple you were that day.
**I remember you holding both of your girls as wee newborn things and seeing the love and pride and future in your eyes.
**I remember when you became "Captain Dave, Sky Pilot"!
**And just a few days ago I watched you give attention and affection not only to your immediate family but to the whole fourteen of us assembeled here - snowed in together - and reflecting on how you have become a great husband, father, and member of your extended family, neighborhood, community, and career.
**Not a day passes when your mother and I don't share some thought, memory, or happy detail from raising and launching you kids. You were our prototype, and we still delight in you.
**In a word, I am shamelessly proud of you Son.

**HAPPY BIRTHDAY, INDEED!!

1 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger betty said...

We named this miracle "Beloved Gift of God," and he has always been that! We all delight watching Papa John sharing his knowledge on some obscure topic with the grandkids. They are so blessed to have TIME with you.

More and more, I realize the most precious gift we can give anyone is time. Whether the topic of the hour is birds, floods, plants, art, flying, music, God's Word, or whatever...the child sitting beside you is fortunate indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home