Thursday, October 08, 2009

READING REPORT #3 - Books I plan to read soon.

Should I list all the books I have on hand - in the "to be read" line, so-to-speak - the list would number several dozens, I suppose, but many of those are mysteries or pulp fiction that only take a day or two to finish and are often by authors who turn out a book or two annually. I may never catch up on these authors. However, there yet remains a list of books for which I am still searching, and this list steadily grows even though I make periodic rounds of favorite bookshops and websites. In other words, the rate of gathering the books never seems to match the rate of adding new possibilities to the list, so I am always on the lookout for books, but the specific titles keep changing as targets are acquired and read.

Next I must decide whether to keep the book - to be reread someday, to become part of a collection by that author or on that subject, or for other future use. If I decide not to hold on to a title, I must figure out whether to give it away, resell it online or to a local book dealer, or donate it to Goodwill or a similar outlet. Even the list of book sets I keep is flexible since my tastes change, the quality of a writer's work may decline, or I occasionally thin the book holdings for various reasons.

OK, Time to refocus and return to the purpose of this entry. Here a few books that are physically actually stacked up and destined to be read next.

3:16. The Numbers of Hope by Max Lucado. Actually, this book has been on the someday list since it was mentioned to me last year (and because I am selectively collecting other books by Lucado). After struggling with my own opinion of Max Lucado's doctrinal anomalies, I realized that he does not always inject into his writings the aberrations to which I do not subscribe. He does have a wordsmith's way of identifying describing some of the fundamentals of faith I hold to be essential - for example, the purpose and particulars of the Passion of the Christ. When he focuses on that without becoming mired in random storytelling, I find I enjoy the story and detail of the salvation saga wrapped with Lucado's language and emphasis.

The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel. Clearly, Creationism is a hot topic in modern times and is under severe attack by the scientific thought police. Since so much effort and energy is being put into trying to discredit the concept of an "Intelligent Designer", and to destroy the the case for creation, these realities are clearly the strongest foes of the "evolutionary camp". Strobel is a journalist who once he examined the facts became convinced that ... Well, look again at the title. I understand that this book recounts his re-examination of the claims of evolution and his dual conclusion that there is indeed convincing evidence for a Creator and that a host of flaws exist in the data to which the opposing camp clings. If you read Christian Apologetics, join me in reading this one.

Made in America; An Informal History of the English Language in the United States by Bill Bryson (who earlier wrote A Walk in the Woods). What retired English teacher could resist? Looks like a great subject by a good writer. If you like words and word histories, Bill Bryson will delight you. I'm looking forward to this one.

Seldom Disappointed; A Memoir by Tony Hillerman. Just about the first mysteries, and certainly the first mystery series I ever read was the Hillerman collection which features two great fictional lawmen in the Navajo Southwest. Then I worked through all the non-fiction I could find, waited impatiently for subsequent stories to be published, and fell in love with Hillerman's work. Now I am eager to read his story about himself and compare it with my impressions of the man and his mission and the half-dozen magazine articles I have come across during the past twenty years or so. What I already know about his writings and his other accomplishments lead me to think this was a remarkable fellow. It should be an interesting read.

You only Die Once; Preparing for the End of Life with Grace and Gusto by Margie Jenkins. What I know about this book and the author is in the title and on the back cover. I'm going to tackle it now because I am teaching a class for the Senior Saints on the loosely related topics of death and the hereafter sometime referred to in ecclesiastical circles as "last things" or "eschatology". I plan to mine this book (and others) for some practical applications as to how each of us should prepare for the inevitable, both spiritually and in terms of pre-death decisions and paperwork. (I am open to receiving helpful materials in this area if you have anything useful.) Vital Papers? Cherished memories and possessions to pass along? Medical care options? Plan your funeral or memorial and get in the last word? live to the fullest meanwhile? Gotta start somewhere, and this book seems to have possibilities.

As always, I reserve the right to change the books in the stack and opt for another book which catches my fancy. In fact, I'm already working on the second in John Dunning's series that starts with Booked to Die. Thanks, Ted!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Patty said...

Can I borrow the Bryson book when you're done?

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Dana Wyatt said...

Geoffrey and I read Case for the Creator a while back. If I remember correctly, it was an interesting read. I enjoy Bryson's books, too. Haven't heard of this one, though. Wish I had more time to read...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home