Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wintering Orchid Cactus a Crisis Now.

One of the several major ways I have missed the greenhouse since it burned down concerns the wintering of my Orchid Cactus plants. Fortunately, these treasures were still inside the garage and had not yet been moved to the greenhouse when fire day came. Now the increase since is crowding me into a problem. You can see there are several pots sitting at the right for which wintering space is a real problem. They like the 40 to 60 degree range and must not become much cooler for fear of tissue damage. They also need some light, although I've only used a minimum over the past three winters.


I can probably house most of the hanging gems, but I am looking for someone who has a little protected space - greenhouse, lighted and enclosed garage or basement, or such - and who would be interested in lending/renting that space to me until the danger of frost is past (early March?). I thought I would start here among friends and network this request. Maybe you know someone who could help out. I'd rather not have to sell these youngsters off if I can find another solution. If I can not, they may have to go on Craigslist or to a specialty nursery, for without protection they will perish. Two dozen pots need a temporary home. I've only a week or so to solve this one. Can you help?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home