Saturday, February 19, 2011

COPING WITH S.A.D.?

How long is winter anyway?

OK. OK. I know it only lasts three months or so on paper, but the reality is getting to be a lot longer this year. If memory serves, we had cool weather in late September, and through a big chunk of October. I don't know when the rains began, but it seems most of November was cold, wet, and soggy. Even December was colder to my bones than ever before and the couple of weeks when it didn't rain as much wasn't much of a break emotionally, nor was the stretch of freezing days and darkness.

So along comes January, a little less sever than it could have been, but almost constantly in the high 30s and low 40s and nary a chance to shake off the shivers. Then one cold rain front after another with only an occasional bright day and virtually no real sunshine. Wall to wall gray overcast without even much variation in the texture of the clouds for what seems forever. And finally February with a little hope of the break in which I often begin pruning my little orchard. But wait, there's more: cold days and drizzle that is.

Finally we have had a few days - now and then - of sunshine, but the temperature this morning was 27 degrees at 8:00 am and at mid-day was only up to 48 degrees and when I stepped outside it still felt like it was freezing. The main floor of our house has no south-facing windows, so outside most of what I see is shade and shadows. I guess I'm just feeling SAD.

Really, S.A.D. It is one of those convenient medical acronyms for "Seasonal Affective Disorder". I don't know much about it, except some folk need more sunshine, or balanced light, than they get from normal daylight in places like the Pacific Northwest and northward. My mom was one who got the blues in the winter and would have benefited from more wintertime sunlight in Arizona or Palm Springs or somewhere. I have noticed that in late winter in recent years I begin to feel glum too. Probably the passing of close friends in the past couple of weeks hasn't helped this year, and having to postpone our drive to California was another factor, but the last few days have been more depressing than usual. Struggles with health and stress and overload are all magnified, so I am ready for travel to sunny climes.

Well, it's late afternoon and I need to get dressed and go somewhere before it's dark again. Maybe I'll go stroll around in Borders and look at books. Might help even though they have filed for bankruptcy and may fold up soon. Perhaps I'll find a love letter in the mailbox today, although I haven't had one in a long time, but, Hey!, who knows?

My most recent bright spot was getting to see a grand-daughter participate in areawide singing, drama, and swimming competition. Katie did a fine job in all her events. That felt good!

Well, heads up. It will soon be warm enough to go golfing. That's outdoors and a lot brighter than any room inside. I'm really ready. Any takers?

2 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Kristi Weber said...

Natural spectrum lights help. I use them in the rooms where I spend the most time.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Linda Judd said...

John, I'm sorry to hear that the winter grays have made you blue. Our son, Tim, suffered from that when he lived in Juneau for three or four years this last time, and, to a lesser degree, so did Dan. That's why we moved to a sunshine state.

But my guess is that dear friends no longer sharing this earth with you is the real culprit for your doldrums. If a virtual hug from afar helps, know that I'm sending one. Share it with Betty, too, okay? And I'll send up a special prayer for you tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home