Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Passing thoughts

I used to think winter was the doldrums when one should have more time available to do all those things that never get done during the rest of the year. "Taint so.

I have more chores and projects and "things put off" at the end of this winter than I may ever finish. Certainly the seasons will roll and the outdoors will call to yard work, crusin' around, and a host of "let's go see..." opportunities and much of it might go undone forever. Meanwhile the cold snap seems to be coming to an end, the winds are almost gone, I'm trying to prioritize the next set of jobs, while keeping up with the regular routine.

So perhaps a little pre-spring mental housekeeping is in order.

It's a bit late for New Year's Resolutions, but here are some thoughts about of the most needful things I should be doing, at least as I am feeling it today:

1. I've got to concentrate on lowering my average blood sugar level.
2. I want to drift toward a more minimalist lifestyle. Stuff has got to go. Can a pack-rat change?
3. I've a pile of "Ham Gear" to go away soon via ebay or craigslist or such.
4. That Garage Sale idea must swing into high gear. Let me clear out a lot of unused items.
5. I need to set daily goals and reach them. Too many wasted days are flying by.
6. I need to reduce my "obligations"; focus on the most important, let the rest go.
7. Read the books I already have and cut the search list way, way down.
8. Learn to give things away.
9. Concentrate on what remains and what is to come.
10. Don't leave an unhappy widow now or later.

OK, ideals are always a bit beyond reality. But Bob Browning was right on: "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for?" It's time to stretch to turn some of my "gotta-do someday"s into "Now, That's finally done".

Am I right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home