Thursday, February 05, 2009

LUCY WANG AND THE SPANISH VILLAGE ART STUDIOS

Because of my budding interest in learning to paint in oils, I have begun both a personal library and a list of sources including galleries, art stores, museums of several kinds, local options for taking art classes, and favorite places to visit where I can enjoy the works of art and culture by real artists. Although the lovely place I am going to share with you is in San Diego, I would never think of visiting that city without allowing three or four leisurely hours strolling among "The Art Studios" in Balboa Park's "Spanish Village". This tiny colony of artists was created in 1935 as part of the 2nd California-Pacific International Exposition which was the inspiration for all of Balboa Park itself which today is sufficient reason to select San Diego for a vacation destination. Check it out at http://www.spanishvillageart.com/


The Art Studios currently are home to about ninety artists of various specialties (I can count at least 24 different creative arts available in these little stores.) who share the 37 studios, galleries, and active workshops. With its colorful patio atmosphere and Spanish architecture and landscaping, this is a wonderful and relaxing spot to spend a few precious hours. The village is located between the Natural Museum and the entrance to the World-Class Balboa Zoo and is a very short stroll from the huge, classic, lath conservatory. A center for art classes and camps, demonstrations, shows, and special events throughout the year, local residents are proud and protective of this gem in the heart of a spendid cultural preserve.
Like most of the folk I know, I have favorites in every field of learning and experience I can imagine, and I have one store and it's delightful artist-proprietor that I am always eager to visit . Here I can relish the remarkable paintings on silk and rice paper which are done by Lucy Wang. Now what I say might begin to sound like a commercial, but really it is just my own gushing about her work - its beautiful art, its fine materials, its clean, fresh presentation, and Lucy's own sweet disposition. The photo above shows her shop; the one below is Lucy and Betty against one wall of her display. Not surprisingly, she has achieved international recognition as artist and as a teacher. The list of her showings and the prestigious societies which have featured her work is long and most impressive. Enjoy some of both at her site: http://www.lucywang.com/

Yes, we have a nice picture which we selected from her studio. I also have bought some special art materials from her, including a special sumi-e ink brush for that special style of painting. You can purchase one of her books at any Michael's Craft store in the art department. It is one of the Walter Foster series and is titled "Learn the Art of Chinese Brush Painting. I now have several copies and the finest is the one Lucy Wang autographed to me.

2 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Linda Judd said...

Really beautiful work! And I absolutely love the colorful plaza outside the artists' studios.

Did you just return from CA, or was this from a previous visit?

Thanks for sharing. Lucy's paintings would brighten anyone's day.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Papa John said...

We went to the L.A. area for his 90th birthday on the 21st of January. Spent a couple of days in San Diego with my 94 year old Aunt Edith (AKA the Super-Energizer Bunny.) but that's another story. While she went to play bridge, we went the the Art Colony, lazed thru the shops, enjoyed a lunch ordered with a shopkeeper and listened to beautiful, live guitar music. All on a gorgeous 78 degree afternoon. With my choice of sweeties!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home