Friday, September 10, 2010

PLEIN AIR ON THE EAST FORK OF THE LEWIS RIVER

First of all, let me explain the term "plein air": it's a French expression for painting or drawing outdoors. In modern usage, as I understand it, plein air generally refers to painting , and often presumes the artist is using oils, although pastels, watercolors, and acrylics are also employed.

Here is a picture taken at the location selected for the first September plein air outing of the NOPG (Northwest Oil Painter's Guild). This is a portion of the south bank of the East Fork of the Lewis River about eight miles east of Woodland, Washington. Haapa Park, a small boat launch facility which is part of the Clark County Park system offers a wonderful picnic area overlooking the river, plenty of parking, some walking paths and lawn areas, and a nice bathroom building.

The object of painting outdoors is to capture the selected scenery and a given moment of light and color in a single effort. Practically, this is an almost impossible task, considering the light is always changing, especially on a cloud driven day, and the activity of life does not pause to pose for the artist. At best a quick effort is made to block-in the general view, establish the basic shapes and values and colors, and hope to complete the painting later at home, perhaps with the help of reference photographs or sketches. Experience and practice seem to be important elements in the task, neither of which I adequately possess, yet. Still, I am equipped, and willing to learn, and I do enjoy the element of getting outdoors to experience beautiful places and real air.

My outfit currently is a Russian Yarka painting case which features collapsible legs, a built-in easel, interior storage for tubes of paint, brushes, and a carefully selected minimum of essential materials and supplies. Using suggestions in a well known plein air book, I have made several modifications to the unit which somewhat speed set-up before painting and the clean-up afterward. Typically, I am probably over supplied and carry more gear than I might really need and more tools than I will actually require. Gradually, I hope to reduce the kit to the basics I actually use; this will save weight, simplify the outings considerably, and allow me to focus on the purpose of painting rather than on the transportation of cargo.

Before I opened a tube of paint yesterday, I took this picture of my set-up. It took two trips to carry my load so I'm going to find a basket or such on wheels which means more equipment. Still, can you tell from the pictures what a lovely place this was to spend several hours? With a dynamic sky, plenty of bird-life, a little fishing-boat traffic on the river, the first colors of autumn putting dashes of reds and rusts, and yellows into the dozens of unique greens along the riverbanks, and companion painters, it was a most enjoyable afternoon.

Perhaps after I get past my tyro phase and gain a little confidence in what I am doing as a rookie painter, I will chance sharing a shot or two of my compositions. Frankly, I don't think they are much to look at yet, but, any work in progress doesn't look very good until the last few carefully placed and applied strokes suddenly make a picture "pop". Hey! Did you see the blue in that Kingfisher and hear him squawk? Now that's neat!

Meanwhile, you have a small idea of what I am up to and what I am up against. I am going to concentrate mostly on landscape and outdoor themes. So what kind of paintings do you like?

2 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Patty said...

Glad you had a good time!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Linda Judd said...

I loved cyber-visiting your pein air location, John. It's beautiful, and must be very inspiring to an artist like yourself. In fact, I was itching to come with my camera and all the gear that I haul around, as well. I haven't gotten to go on a photo shoot outing in quite awhile. Anyway . . . please do share some of your finished products. I'd love to see them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home