Friday, October 15, 2010

AFTER SEEING THE DOCTOR

Thanks to all who responded in one way or another to my last post here on Blogspot. (Especial thanks for the "comments" to that post.) I appreciated the loving feedback, and in partial response, here's the requested update.

With heart pounding and blood pressure jacked way up, I did go to the appointment as scheduled. All the tests and labwork were reviewed, and as expected, my current numbers were discussed. The doctor made several recommendations, adjusted my medications, and pointed out some goals for me to work toward. I'm comfortable with all we covered, and resolve to make positive changes over the coming three months - holidays and birthday celebrations not withstanding. Prescription of the big "I"* which I expected was not among the topics brought up or named as an immediate decision now. There were, of course, several dark references to "stronger measures" and a "firmer approach" which I interpreted as justifiable threats.

Sure, my numbers were up again; weight, cholesterol, A1c, and other factors had all climbed. (Only my height has diminished!) By a severe change in diet habits I hope to reduce all of those results before mid-January. The solution continues to be, "Eat less; Eat better. Exercise regularly." One of the recommendations was to go see the Nutrition and Diabetes Center at the local hospital and get training in achieving the meal deal and in monitoring blood glucose levels. OK, I'll make that call Monday.

The other vital topic we discussed was the cause and possible treatment of my continuing foot pain. I've always had flat, wide feet, and have needed good foot support. Last spring while pruning the orchard, I stood for days on a ladder wearing old tennies which did not provide that requisite foundation for my arches. I'm sure what little arch I had collapsed completely. Owwie!! I have not been able to walk pain-free since, and it has almost eliminated my ability to walk any significant distance for exercise. [Now I have been golfing nine holes Monday mornings, but once I sit down for a while, I can hardly get back on my feet. I hobble around most of Tuesday, and by Wednesday or Thursday, if I am careful about wearing good support and do not walk about bare-footed, I can finally get around again.] The Doctor, after his in-office check, has referred me to a podiatrist for further exam and suggested some sort of orthopedic lift or shoe might be prescribed.

OK, the title of my previous entry suggested, tongue-in-cheek, that "Things Are Looking Up, Right?" It may actually be true; let's all keep that in mind. I will work toward improved numbers and accept the advice I am getting from my caregivers. Y'all help me remember that much of the change I need to realize depends upon me. I have set some personal goals, and promised myself some new slacks and shirts when I achieve my target numbers. I've been told that discarding older, larger clothing and working at staying slim to be able wear the new clothes becomes a motivator for maintaining the gains achieved. Sounds good to me 'cause I need to be motivated, and I understand setting goals and chipping away at them to make progress in small degrees.

Meanwhile, these Wyatts need to seriously challenge the status-quo re. the groceries we buy, the meals out we can allow, and such-like. Goodbye sweets; Hello veggies. I'll probably be talking about these things in future blogs, so don't be too surprised. Now, shouldn't we purge the refrigerator and food cabinets of all the no-nos; make a contribution to a food-bank with our surplus carbs and snacks? Get out the diabetic recipe books and begin building a new cuisine? Lube the treadmill so it is available on rainy days? Make ourselves vulnerable to family and friends who are willing to gently inquire (even nag?) about our progress? Renew commitment to that list of strategies for coping with health issues? (I'll post that list in a few days.) We probably need to do all of the above, and more for insurance. Will you help?

3 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Kristi Weber said...

Hey,John
Good goals. I'm on your support (nag?) team. As to your foot pain, I just want to say that if you are diagnosed with plantar's fasciaitis, the solution is not surgery, or even orthotics. A good chiropractor (Dr Scott in Orchards) can reposition the calcaneous (heel bone) to reduce the stress on the fascia. The reason it stretches in the first place is because the heel gets pushed back. Putting it back where it belongs fixes the problem. At first, you will need to have it adjusted frequently (you'll know when you do). After awhile, you don't. I hardly ever need it anymore, and a few years ago I was told by the podiatrist that the only solution was to cut the tendon to the fascia. Long answer, but remember it, OK?

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Linda Judd said...

Hi John. I like your attitude! I'll be happy to be on your team. It's a challenge, but one that pays off BIG when met. Go team!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Dana Wyatt said...

Go Papa John! You can do it!

I think you've inspired me to schedule my 3 month check-up, too. I will be 2 months late (avoiding, avoiding, avoiding the doctor) and I am certain that my numbers won't be great.

I guess we all need to "face the music" at some point.

I love you and will be praying for you. I will also share some recipes as I find them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home