Tuesday, January 16, 2007

SNOWBIRDS

It must be difficult to be a weather forecaster! Last week more cold and snow was promised than developed. Today more snow and cold came than was predicted. And it just about paralyzed the metroplex.

Since we have so many Alaskan winters behind us, it is always a bit amusing? astounding? perplexing? to see how the Vancouver/Portland folk react to a little winter weather. They never seem to handle the traffic aspect very well, and the schools districts seem to be perpetually confused about whether to cancel or delay classes. Although this surge follows four or five deep-freezing days (with nighttime temperatures into the mid-teens), the unexpected abundance of snowfall still caught most drivers unprepared. TV reports chronicle problem after problem due to iced roads or packed snow, or unskilled drivers.

As for Betty and me, we stayed home, stoked up the woodstove, had tea and bagels, bean soup for dinner, and worked on quiet projects. I printed out a series of photos for a painting project, worked ahead on materials for Bible classes, and spent a lot of time studying the bird feeder action.

The photos today show the perky mountain chickadee snagging a black-oil sunflower seed and a flock of bushtits mobbing the suet feeder. But additionally we had crowds of Oregon Juncoes, several flickers, three pairs of bright orange Varied Thrush, hummingbirds, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, several kinds of House and Purple Finches, a completely fluffed up American Robin (a winter local that looked really miffed today), a couple of kinds of sparrows, a fly-by of crows, a Downy (or perhaps a Hairy) woodpecker, a few LBJs and some bandits (European Starlings - Sternus Vulgaris).

It was great day to relax and NOT be anxious about stuff.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds tham. Are you not worth much more than they?" Mt 6:26
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger Patty said...

not much bird action around here, but we had a whole passel of kids and four-wheelers running about

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Kat said...

We were packed in about 8 inches at my place. Still can't get out of the driveway. I have many different species of birds out here as well. Although I am not nearly as educated as you when it comes to each kind.
It amazes me how God works the law of thanksgiving into the smallest of his creatures.
After the snowfall, I noticed my feathered friends trying to dig through the snow. I grabbed my bag of all season seed & a new suet block & headed outside. The mixed array of chirpers backed off as I quietly & slowly walked up to spead the feed. I noticed they all gathered & started eating promptly. I went back inside & continued my day. That evening I walked outside & right on the ground at my front door was one opened sunflower seed. (where I feed & where my door is are no where near each other). Nothing else was there but that one opened shell.
I got the message.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home